OAPEN-UK commenced in October 2010 and is due to run until summer 2015. OAPEN-UK is a collaborative research project gathering evidence to help stakeholders make informed decisions on the future of open access scholarly monograph publishing in the humanities and social sciences (HSS).
Funded by JISC and the AHRC, OAPEN-UK is an innovative and highly consultative project – working in an area where little research exists and connecting with all the key stakeholders to identify and discuss concerns, challenges, perceptions and opportunities related to a transition to open access monographs. OAPEN-UK recognises that open access will require changes to current working practice as well as cultural change and that resistance to change is inevitable. By working with each stakeholder and sharing findings between stakeholders, the project promotes understanding and knowledge and enables stakeholders to make informed decisions based on evidence, rather than assumptions.
- To learn about why we are running this project and the objectives of the research, please see the overview section. This section also contains the project plan, the research plan and the steering group membership.
- The pilot section includes information on the real time pilot that starts in September 2011 runing for three years. It also tells you about the selection criteria for the titles included and which publishers are members of the project.
- We are openly publishing all our research findings as we progress through project.
- Our project is linked to the Open Access Publishing in European Networks (OAPEN) project and the OAPEN section will tell you more about the research findings from OAPEN and the OAPEN Library, an open access scholarly monograph platform for HSS titles.
- In the further reading section we will post links to articles/blogs of interest and of course the reports and findings of the project as they are published.
- We will be running a large number of workshops, focus groups and speaking at events as part of this project. Details of these and news updates will be posted in the events and news sections.
Head of Projects
For further information on OAPEN-UK, please contact
Head of Projects